Tuesday 6 March 2012

Why I'm glad to be female

An excellent article in the Independent on Sunday  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/revealed-the-best-and-worst-places-to-be-a-woman-7534794.html  gave me food for thought. Rather ironic as I was reading it over a delicious brunch. the article was about the lot of women across the world.  This tied in neatly to what I have been thinking lately about online dating and the wealth of opportunities it affords you.  Whilst Britain is nowhere near perfect, compared to many countries (Afghanistan springs to mind) we are fortunate to have choices about our lives. That's not to say the demands and pressures on women are easy, but we are lucky when contrasted with our sisters internationally.  We can go to secondary school, let alone university.   I choose to celebrate the concept of feminism, because what it means to me is freedom. There are many stereotypes of feminists, and many debates about what a 'true' feminist should believe and do, but the fact that this debate occurs tells me we are doing something right in Britain. In my previous article I explored men vs women, and highlighted the problems women face, http://www.lovesceneonline.com/featured/mars-venus-and-a-planet-in-between/ but I am now celebrating femininity. I certainly relish the opportunity to wear what I please, whether it be skirt, dress, trousers, shorts (weather permitting of course). Men don't have such a vast array of clothing to express themselves. Then there's cosmetics. Love them or loathe them, they are a fantastic tool for expressing who you are and how you feel in that moment.  Hair is a world of choice too. Short, midi, long, coloured, bleached, natural... One look around the tube on the morning commute reveals a dazzling array of options.  Even our genitalia is prettier than men's. So many women find breasts to be more aesthetically attractive than penises, as demonstrated by 'celebrity body' and sex surveys in magazines.  And (unfortunately as a reflection of society) they do come in useful on occasion. As a short girl I often have to wait ages to get to the bar. But my boobs help me get there and served faster. Maybe that's antithetical to feminism, but I believe in working with what I've got and doing the best I can in life. Besides, I should get something for carrying them all day, and suffering the swelling and back pain once a month. On occasion I like to be treated like a lady. A little chivalry and gentlemanly behaviour combined with some old-school glamour is an enjoyable experience. Admittedly this is somewhat rare of late, but I haven't given up hope.  And, if another reason why it's great to be female were needed, how about multiple orgasms?    We also now have laws that protect working mothers. The decision to work or not once becoming a parent is a personal one, often massively influenced by finances. But the option is available - we are not legally prevented from employment in the manner that women in Saudi Arabia are. In Britain we can drive - and don't face jail for doing so. Insurance is also cheaper for female drivers.  One wonderful thing about women is our strength, ability to keep going despite the odds, and close open friendships we enjoy with our girlfriends. Talking to male friends (of all sexual orientations) they express wonder at the depth of emotion we share and the detail of things we can go into with those we trust. We also have extremely complex brains and a wonderful ability to empathise and analyse.  That's not to say men are stupid, but so many times I have heard 'I didn't think of that', 'I didn't know you felt like that', and 'I don't understand what she wants'. In addition to this, most women I know will try to change bad things and improve them, not just let them fester. A pretty impressive skill set.  Yes sexism and harassment still occurs, but being a woman is pretty cool. Women can be Their own worst enemies, so let's take a moment to celebrate all that is awesome about women. I love being a woman.  And I wouldn't change it for a moment - even when PMT reigns supreme.  The perfect excuse for polishing off a tub of Ben and Jerry's in one setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment