Tuesday 18 October 2011

Fool for you? No thanks, I'm full

I'm no longer willing to be a fool for love.  So why would I date one?
I was asked today by a friend if I felt I was missing out.  My answer was an honest 'no'.  I really don't.  "But what if you miss out on that someone special?" She pressed.  My reply was that I just don't have the inclination to be involved right now.
"But he could pass you by!"  She seemed really concerned about this possibility.  And so I said that I couldn't be bothered to spend all that time sorting the wheat from the chaff.  Or in this case, chavs.  "So you could have fun dating a whole bunch of unspecial guys.  It can be a good way to spend your time".
I did give this some thought.  Granted, dating can be fun.  But as I said to her, "What's the point in spending all that time geting dressed up, making myself look pretty and allowing myself to become giddy with anticipation, only to try not to fall asleep or not staring at a really unattractive feature?"  "But I'm sure we could find someone you'd -" I cut her off.  No way am I going on a blind date.  I've had enough bad dates where hey have at least been my choosing and I'd had a hint of interest in them.  So why on earth would I subject myself to the torture of a blind date? Not only is it awkward and uncomfortable, but if you're having a crappy time how do you get away without being bloody obvious?  "Shall we see the dessert menu? How about the Fool for you?" "No thanks, I'm full". 
Not to mention how embarassing it would be to see them out again socially.  And on the off chance it did work, Cupid (AKA your matchmaking friend) would always be in the middle - perfect for any arguments and disagreements.  Your relationship essentially becomes a three-way, and not in a good way.  Plus if said relationship were to not work out, the difficulties of the split would be complicated by the disappointment of Cupid.  And then who does Cupid stay friends with?

I think what my lovely kind friend was thinking of was the chance of meeting a guy on the street, or the train, and him being the one.  I do believe in fate and things happening for a reason.  But I'm also realistic enough to know that there is a whopping distinction between movies and real life, and I know most men are not confident enough to approach a woman on the train.  Commuters generally do not speak, especially in London.  And the truth is, I am not so attractive that I am showered with date offers.  Last guy was my ex.  Maybe I'm not ugly, but I'm not someone you'd look twice at.  So I'd rather abandon unnecessary hope and dreams and focus on what is important to me, and enjoy life instead of throwing "my life away on a dream that won't come true", as Rizzo so famously sang in Grease.  Girlfriend got a point.

The fact that I'm not interested in dating right now means i am probably not giving out signals that I am available.  And I'm honestly quite content like that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment